Pulled pork is traditionally served on a CWB (cheap white bun) with a drizzle of sauce (or two), and coleslaw. That's it! It's simple, easy and run-down-your-arm delicious
I'm generally all about tradition, but sometimes it's good to color outside the lines a bit, so here I've added some fruitiness to the party. The combination of moist smokey pork, a fantastic Sweet Apple Chipotle bbq sauce, and slaw kicked up with pineapple truly elevate the sandwich/
- • 8 large Plain hamburger buns
- • 4 cups Pulled pork
- • 1 cup Sweet Apple Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- • 2 cups Pineapple slaw (recipe follows)
- • 1 bag (16 oz) Tri-color slaw mix
- • 1/2 cup Pineapple, crushed and drained
- • 1/3 cup Buttermilk
- • 1/4 cup Sugar
- • 3 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- • 1 Tbsp Canola oil
- • 1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- • 1 tsp Garlic salt
- • 1/2 tsp Celery salt
- • 1/2 tsp Black pepper, ground fresh
- • 1/8 tsp Dirty Bird Hot Rub
- • 2 tsp Lemon juice, squeezed fresh
- Step one: Dump all of the pineapple slaw ingredients, except the slaw mix, in a large enough mixing bowl. This will be the dressing. Mix or whishk until all of the dressing ingredients are smooth and well-incorporated, and the dressing looks even.
- Step two: Add the slaw to the dressing mix. You might need to fold it to make it fit. Stir so that the slaw becomes evenly coated. Now cover the bowl with saran wrap, and let it sit in the fridge for 2-4 hours. Come back to stir occasionally - 1-2 times throughout should be enough.
- Warm the sauce up in a small pan, or in the microwave in a bowl that is safe for that use. Remember, you don't want it to boil!
- Warm up the buns. If you have the grill already running for another cook, take advantage to give them some nice looking hash marks (optional, but you defintitely get some extra points for the detail).
- Time to bring everything together! Grab the bottom buns, and top them with 1/2 cup of pork (hot, of course!). Garnish with 2 tablespoons of warm sauce, and 1/4 cup of slaw (drained of excess juice).
- Serve and enjoy!